NOW THIS:

Friday, August 04, 2006

Crepe Myrtle Mania

I haven't really felt much like drawing lately, but I figured I would post some of nature's beauty that I have been enjoying lately. I don't know if our recent hot weather had anything to do with it, but the crepe myrtle trees have just exploded in bloom, and now we are having the colorful fallout everywhere.

These first shots are from the arboretum.













Here's some of the "fallout" I was talking about.




I have a white one in my back yard. When the wind blows, the blossoms fall like snow. It's so pretty. I tried to take a picture of them falling, but as luck would have it, the whole time I sat out there waiting, there was no breeze.




In the front yard: these are our "street trees". On a hot evening just before sunset, our tree was literally aglow.



I tried to capture the sunset illuminating the flowers. It gave a magic moment to an otherwise boring suburban street.



Yes, it's blurry. I still like it.



The gutters filled with fallen flowers.



...and so did my car windshield.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!

    Mine are white and I am reluctant to sweep my sidewalk clear of the fallen blossoms!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy