NOW THIS:

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Art class today!

The good news is that I had my first lesson in botanical illustration today. This was the class that I missed last fall, and now they're having it again.

The bad news is, I didn't get to draw anything botanical yet. And I probably won't get to until the third class meeting. The instructor is taking things very slow, so today we "got to know our pencils."


These are my pencils saying "How do you do?"

I suppose this is good practice for me, getting back to basics before I attempt any real drawing. It took me the better part of 2 hours to fill in all those squares, and when I finished and checked around me, my classmates, (3 other arboretum ladies) were still hard at work. How did I manage to blast through my lesson so fast? Did I miss something? Was I too sloppy? I didn't worry about neatness too much. But when I look at the meticulous and delicate renderings of seasoned botanical artists, they are like photographs, not a pencil-stroke out of place. I don't know if I have it in me to be that fussy anymore. We'll have to see what happens next week. We'll be drawing and shading geometric shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy