NOW THIS:

Friday, January 18, 2008

Taking the plunge, so to speak


I had been thinking about taking water aerobics for a long time, maybe a year. I bought a bathing suit last August, intending to start in September. Then I got sick. Then I got busy. Then the holidays rolled around. Now I'm out of excuses. So, I finally have done what so many well-intentioned people do at this time of year. I've joined a gym. (the YMCA.)

Today was my first class. It was an interesting experience. It was pretty fun. Not a terribly strenuous workout, but for me, that's probably a good thing. There were a couple dozen people in the pool. Mostly ladies, all older than me. There were 2 men. I could tell that many of them had been doing this, together, for some time. I had a little trouble following what they were doing. The instructor was out of the pool, and it was hard to hear what she was saying. I tried to see what the other people were doing, but the movements are not easy to make out under the water. But a few of the ladies helped me out a little. Everyone was very friendly. In fact, toward the end of class, at some signal that I apparently missed, everybody broke ranks and started giving each other "10." It was like when you drink a toast to someone and you have to clink everybody's glass. Or like in church when you greet the people on all sides of you. They all introduced themselves to me. I don't know how I'll ever be able to learn all those names. There were 2 Carols, a Sandy, a Julie, a nice Scottish lady... I'll never remember who's who. Well, hopefully I will eventually, because if I'm going to be seeing these ladies on a regular basis, naked, even, it would be nice to know their names.

Yeah, I kinda hadn't really thought about it before I signed up, but there was the whole locker room experience that I had to deal with. The showers were all communal. People (well, ladies) were going to be seeing me naked. And vice versa. And yet, when the time came, I managed to do what I needed to do with no fuss or fanfare. I was just another tush, another pair of boobies. (And there was quite an assortment!)
This seems do-able. I hope to be able to work out about 3 times a week. Hopefully I'll stick with it, and maybe make a few new friends while I'm at it.

1 comment:

  1. My friend Karen and I did water aerobics for 2 summers...we bought the buoyancy belts and everything. Some of our classes were in deep water, and others in shallow...it was very fun. Our teacher played music, and one of the songs was from the 50's called "If I knew You were Coming I'd a baked a Cake"!!!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy