NOW THIS:

Sunday, January 06, 2008

The tree with the flowers


This is the tree in my parents' front yard that inspired my current header image. I also posted about it here. It's an evergreen pear, Pyrus kawakami, originally planted in 1967 when we first moved in. It had character, but it was rather oddly shaped and probably not very healthy. My mom didn't like it any more, and she had it removed just recently.




This photo is of one of the tree's spindly branches. I've always found them very attractive. (The flowers don't smell good though, and it doesn't make fruit, just in case you were wondering.)




The leaves turn very colorful. I painted these back in 1976. Even though my parents' tree is gone, there are still plenty of these trees all over the place, and I still love to collect the leaves.

2 comments:

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy