NOW THIS:

Friday, February 01, 2008

Baby and his blanket

It's been a long time since I posted something for Illustration Friday. Today, I find that I actually have something that fits the theme.


I embroidered this when I was pregnant with my first child. (That would date it to 1986.) This was a period in my life when I did very little in the way of art, so I remember being very proud of it.



It was actually a cloth diaper, and I had intended to use it as a burp rag, or maybe let the kid carry it if he wanted to, like Linus or something. Turned out, Michael wasn't a blankie type of kid. Brice was, though, but not for this one. He bonded with a little yellow blanket that he had.

I don't think I saved any of their little clothes, and very few books and toys. But I held onto this little blankie baby. Maybe someday, I'll have a grandchild to give it to.

7 comments:

  1. No wonder you were proud, he's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's darling! You certainly should be proud of the fine work. I think it would be a sweet gift for a grandchild...someday.... I too only saved a few little things from my son's babyhood - a couple of teeny infant t-shirts I batiked and a little pair of embroidered suede moccasins with fringe. It's hard to even imagine that the big man he is now once could wear those small things:> Thanks for bringing back such nice memories for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no better word to descibe this. Adorable!
    I love embroidery...hand done...not machine. I collect hand embroidered tablecloths and actually use them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! Now I know what to do with all the baby diapers my Mom had held onto all these years... I don't know how to embroider but willing to give it a go. Yours turned out so well... certainly would be lovely framed in a babies room ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy