NOW THIS:

Monday, May 26, 2008

Made-up words and phrases

Hey, I'm just eating a piece of cold leftover pizza for breakfast, and thinking about how I've always called it "Breakfast of Champions". Then my mind started wandering to other made-up words, like "Bottles of Champions ", which is what Michael used to call nursing!

Another prase we made up is "six shades of white", which refers to the bullsh*t a salesman will feed you to help make a sale. It comes from a time, about 20 years ago, when we were having a skylight installed in our living room. The salesman assured us that they had 6 different shades of white to match the skylight shaft to our ceiling, but when the time came and the installer casually whipped out what appeared to be any old random can of paint, we said, "Wait a second! Is that the right shade of white? We're supposed to have six shades of white to find a match!"

The installer, a friendly young man named Jeff, just laughed. "Six shades of white!" he repeated with amusement. Those sales guys will tell people anything! We have white and off-white. Yours is off-white."

Ever since then, we use the phrase when we suspect a salesman is trying to put something over on us. Sounds like six shades of white to me, we will say to each other.

We have another made-up word that my dad invented when I was a kid:

Grammaslatz

It's his word for a line of dominoes arranged for the express purpose of being knocked down.

I probably have other phrases, but they don't come to my mind right now. How about you?

Oh, wait! Here's another one: My little sister once gagged (and maybe barfed, I don't quite remember) after eating something with rich whipped cream. This was when she was maybe 4 or 5 years old. Just before she gagged, she announced, "this stuff makes my throat warm". This became our family euphemism for something yucky or gag inducing. As in I don't want to eat that, it will make my throat warm.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy!!! Nice to see you back! I missed ya! Well, the best phrase that comes to mind here is when I was driving my daughter through a residential area looking at Christmas lights one year when she was around 4 years old. We were listening to Christmas carols on the radio and I got all nostalgic and I said to her "I love you from the bottom of my heart", and she relied, "To the top of your lungs"!!! It has been our standard now of expressing love....we only say "I love you to the top of my lungs"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cute. Go back to the original post. I added one more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like that one too!!! How sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy