NOW THIS:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

OK, so I'm a little paranoid

I got an email this morning telling me that I had received an "e-greeting card". I was instructed to either click on the link, or cut and paste the address into my web browser. Closer scrutiny of the initial email made me suspicious:

It had been addressed to "dear friend", not to me by name.

It didn't say who was sending the e-card.

The address was weird. [http://faunarium*dot*net*slash*e-card*dot*exe] (here rendered barely readable by a person, but not an actual link)

The last virus I got was from an exe file.

Jerry looked at it, and said it doesn't look like the typical e-card announcement, and it's probably not from anyone I know. He looked at just the "Faunarium*dot*net" address, and found it appeared to be dog-related, but in another language (Russian, maybe?)

Anyway, I'm not going to open the e-card. And just on the outside chance this was a legitimate message from a "real person", I apologize for my paranoia. I just feel I have to be careful.

2 comments:

  1. It's a popular spam, virus going around. I work for a university and we get warnings about it all the time. That and the fake bank announcements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...interesting scam...I've not seen it. I do this as well...half the time I won't even open stuff from someone I know...just don't care! Hey...if they really need to tell me something, I have phones, and a front door!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy