NOW THIS:

Friday, November 28, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Dinner

Even though there were only 3 of us for dinner, I still made the usual feast, just smaller amounts (of some things). Michael and Jessi ate with her family, but they came here for dessert (and in Michael's case) carcass-picking.


New this year: Vegetables simmering to make vegetable stock for the stuffing. Jessi recently became a vegetarian. I didn't know if she would even eat any, but I was ready for her any way.
After draining off the stock, I gave the dogs some of the veggies and the turkey liver in their food.


Our bird. A modest 13 pounder, smoked to perfection. It was supoib as usual.


Basic yams. I don't go in for all that marshmallow stuff on top. These are par-boiled and tossed with margarine and brown sugar, then baked.


Green bean casserole. Quite possibly the best side-dish ever to come out of 5 cans. (3 cans of green beans, one can of cream of mushroom soup, one can of french-fried onions)


The stuffing casserole. This was Jerry's mom's recipe. It has bread cubes, apples, onions, celery, mushrooms, olives, walnuts, giblets and raisins. I made a special giblet-less portion for Jessi.


Jessi's beautiful apple pie.


Leafy pie crust detail. Jessi's pie crust is amazing. So much better than the pie shop, even.

We had about 3/4 of the turkey leftover, and ample amounts of the accessories as well, but I don't expect them to last more than a couple of days, except for one breast-half which I froze for later. The two days after Thanksgiving are usually spent constantly grazing on leftovers, right out of the fridge. That's good for me, because I came down with a cold last night, and at least I don't have to worry about cooking for a couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo...yummy food!!! That pie is so purdy! Your turkey is so appealing, all browned to perfection! So sorry to hear you are sick...feel better soon, girl!!!
    Sending positive thoughts your way!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy