NOW THIS:

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Evolution of a Mother's Day card


Here's a little story about the Mother's Day card I made.


First off, there's this cute little template, actually a printable coloring page that I found online last year after I had already made my mom a cute card. I just tucked this away for future use.
Welcome to the future!

Over the past weekend I started fiddling with the card.


This was my first attempt. Cute so far, but I wasn't inspired. I decided to take it in a different direction. And here's a little side-story that ties in to my final color choice:

See this cute little dress? I saw a dress just like this one on a little girl in Trader Joe's the other week. I was so taken by the colors (as well as the floral pattern) that I could hardly concentrate on my shopping. I was seriously toying with the idea of asking the girl's mom if I could take a picture of the dress, but I was afraid she would think I was weird. Instead, I just said, "What a cute little dress!" and the mom thanked me and then gushed that she loved it too, and had just bought it the previous day at Kohl's.

Well, that was enough for me. When I got home, I went to the Kohl's website and found the dress and saved the picture above. I'm sure it looked better in person, but this was close enough. I made the little dots to match the colors of the dress. I knew I wanted to make something, someday, with those colors.

I used some fun Photoshop brushes that I found online and again played around with a batik-like effect, sort of similar to this doodle.
So, here is my finished product:



I spent a little more time playing with the colors. This purple-y one was nice.


This one uses the same colors as the little dress, only with a darker background. I decided it was a little too dark.






1 comment:

  1. Well, isn't that something...that little dress just really got your creative juices flowing!!! It really is a cute dress...nice colors...and your card turned out really great! Your Mom will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy