NOW THIS:

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I just wasted 3 days of my life

Glued to my computer screen, watching a real time reality-show-turned-soap-opera that turned out to be a hoax. I won't name the blog (it's been deleted anyway), but it was about a young, single mother-to-be who was expecting a baby with a grave medical condition. After amassing a large following with her heartfelt posts over the last several months, she finally "gave birth" over the weekend and then her story collapsed like a house of cards.

After reading all the birth updates on Sunday, I was beginning to have some suspicions about her credibility. It didn't take me long to find out that other readers had their suspicions as well, even putting up their own blogs where they posted their speculations and their findings. Hundreds of comments ensued. Over a thousand, probably. And I ate them up like they were peanuts. I couln't help myself. As this was happening, the freshly outed scammer was deleting her blog and all her other web pages.

It was like watching a train wreck. I could scarcely look away in spite of the carnage and the murmering crowd gathered beside me. Actually, it is probably the murmering crowd that kept me sucked in for so long. But in my head now, the voice of reason is telling me to move along. There's nothing else to see here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh...I am sorry about this. It makes me think of a forum I once belonged to (all about chihuahuas), and the owner of the forum "fired" one of her moderators who I dearly loved. I made a decision to delete my acct, I became to upset that she made her leave the forum for a seemingly rediculous reason. I suffered for months, I was so in love with all of these people and their dogs and stories...I cried and seriously mourned the loss!

    At least you can say you enjoyed it while it was there (to a certain extent). Maybe?

    It wasn't a waste.

    Have a fun Wednesday!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy