NOW THIS:

Friday, July 03, 2009

My totem pole cactus

I bought this cactus about 5 or 6 years ago. I love that it has virtually no needles (although it did put out a couple of small needles a few years ago.) It has grown slowly but steadily, as you can see in the pictures.


This was taken in 2006


This was 2007



This is from last week. It's getting tall, but what really excites me is that it's making some kind of buds. I read somewhere that this cactus rarely flowers, and the flowers are sterile, so I'm very curious as to whether it will actually bloom, and what the flowers might look like.


Here's a bud. It's tiny, but there are several sprouting up all over the length of the cactus. The buds are attracting ants, and I even saw an aphid on a bud this afternoon. (Why didn't I take a picture? I don't know.)
I will update with more pictures as the situation warrants.


3 comments:

  1. Very impressive and I am looking forward (with excitement) to the flowering.

    btw I should be posting photos of the two succulents I have- that you sent me- that are doing well :-) My, they have grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. I am almost complete with the installation of a Rock/Cactus/Desert garden for a friend here in Riverside. Would of loved to have one of these. I have read up on them but shipping to California is not legal now. How much do they cost for a small one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine was about $10.00, about ten years ago. You should be able to find them here in SoCal. Are there any cactus/succulent clubs out your way? If all else fails, keep a space for it in your friend's garden, and come visit the Fullerton Arboretum in April for our Green Scene plant show and sale. There are usually several c/s vendor booths, and at least one of them is likely to have a totem pole, based on prior experience.

      Delete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy