NOW THIS:

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Henry Gibson, 1935-2009



Remember him, from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In? I googled him to find some pictures, and found some of his poems. Those silly poems he recited on Laugh-In, he wrote himself. Here's a few:



Dogs Are Better Than Ants
Dogs are better than ants
Because you don't have to bend so far to pet them
In addition, they are sturdy old muzzlers
Who fetch us our slippers, papers, and twig chunks
Twig chunks
But most of all, they stay out of jelly jars and
Never go squish if you happen to step on them.


The Thumbnail
Did you ever stop to figure
Why the thumbnail is so hard?
Well it hasn't any choice
With all that skin to guard.
It may look fat and pudgy
But it's heart is good and true.
It's prettier than a toenail
And easier to chew.


How I Saved A Baby Rhino from Slippin' In The Quicksand,
Whilst In Search Of My Fountain Pen,
Last Summer Along The Amazon River
With great difficulty.



Rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. I live in a bubble...I had not realized he passed away! These are amazing poems! He sure had a funny thought process!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy