NOW THIS:

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Boomer: still in a state of grace

Sometimes I don't post because I've got nothing going on. Other times, like lately, I don't post because I'm too busy, or too full of disorganized thoughts, unfinished projects, and anything else that makes a good excuse for procrastination. But I wanted to make this post about Boomer.

His cancer has returned, in his lungs.

He has shown no symptoms, yet. It was an X-ray that revealed a couple of dark spots.

This is not something unexpected. But we expected it a long time ago, and then when it didn't come, we stopped waiting for it. We just went on with life. Boomie went on with his life. Now that it's here, we are faced with a choice, similar to when he had his leg amputated. Do we just let nature run its course, or do we try to postpone the inevitable with chemo?

A year and a half ago, we decided not to do the chemo. And although the prognosis was 6 months, he's still with us. Now the vet says he may live another 3-6 months without any further intervention. With a metronomic protocol (home-administered chemo cocktail in pill form), he may go another year or more. It's decision time all over again. Or it least it was this past week. We have decided again not to do the chemo. We will continue as we have been for the last year and a half, loving him and keeping him happy and comfortable for as long as we can. This is exactly how we felt last year, except I know his grace period is not likely to continue another 18 months.


Boomer and Marley, hangin' out recently.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about this, Cindy. Keep the love flowing...I know you will. Best wishes during these coming days.

    Sending hugs and kisses to Boomer and all of you...
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy