NOW THIS:

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Just a coincidence....that made my day!

I don't know why it should, but it does.

I won't go into the whole backstory, but for a few months now I've been working one-on-one with a little boy at school. Despite his apparent disadvantages, he is energetic, inquisitive, and loves to go to school. Needless to say, I've gotten pretty fond of him.

One of our jobs is reading. He has a reading chart, and every time he reads one of his little stories from his phonics book, he gets to put a sticker on the chart. A week or so ago, he asked if he could have one of the stickers that said Happy Birthday.

"Well, this is a birthday sticker", I told him. "When is your birthday?"

The poor little guy doesn't know when his birthday is. Today I remembered to ask his teacher when his birthday is, so if it's at all possible, we can make sure he gets the special birthday sticker on his special day (and maybe a cupcake). She took me to the file in the office and pulled out his papers.

November 4th.

That's my birthday too!

I'm bummed, though, that the date has already passed, and his being so behind in language/social skills/school in general, will make it hard for him to relate to when it is/was, nevermind that my birthday is/was the same day.

I just hope I get a chance to wish him a happy birthday when it rolls around again in another 9+
months.

1 comment:

  1. How amazing is this!!! It is so great you work with the kids at school too!!! He will be lucky to have you to help him celebrate next year, if all works out!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy