NOW THIS:

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Struggling to make a map

I haven't been totally blowing off the whole Art for August thing. I've just sort of gotten stuck trying to make a kid-friendly map for the arboretum. They want it all colorful and fun. They were inspired by a professional and very slick looking kids' map they got from some other arboretum. Two things I am not are professional and slick. They'll get my version: amateur and cheap! Well, I'll give it a shot, anyway.


So here's my basic gray-toned map, that I've been using to plan my bug-hunting routes, over- written (or should I say over-scribbled?) with all the stuff they want me to include.


And here's a nice clean path. I just need to put all that scribbly stuff in there, and make it look nice.



I thought I should start with what I thought would be the hardest part: the buildings. This is our Heritage House. I kind of traced over a photo of it. Thought it looked...meh. Tried a few other versions. Equally meh.


I'm thinking of going a little more cartoony. Is this too cartoony?



I made my own Ombu leaf in Photoshop, and turned it into a brush.


That way, I could use it to put leaves on the Ombu tree that I'm going to put on the map. See, the tree is kind of cartoony, and I like that. I want the whole map to be like this tree. I don't know if I can do that.
There's a bunch of other stuff I've done, but what I really need to do is try to put them together and have something to show the comittee tomorrow.





This is just a doodle. I was thinking I would post something every day, even if it's just a dumb doodle. So here's one, but I don't really like the dumb doodles. I will make more art. Some of it will have to be map-art, but there will be more art this month.





1 comment:

  1. If it's for kids I would just make it cartoony! I like both houses but the second would be better for your map. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy