NOW THIS:

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The cactus egg

eggling
Seon gave me this for my birthday. She had no idea I have been trying to grow an aloe from a seed. She just knows I like cacti.

packaging info
Here's how it's supposed to grow*.

How it will all go down*
*Your results may vary

first crack
No turning back now.

seed paper
Inside the shell is soil and a little paper with a couple of tiny cactus seeds (of unknown, but most likely common species).

extra seeds
Also included was a packet with a few extra seeds, which I stuck in shell as well.

So now, we wait
I was a little concerned about what would happen to the seed paper when I watered it, and I decided to put a few granules of crushed pumice on top. Turns out the paper dissolved quickly when I watered the soil in the egg.

So now, we wait.

I did search online to see if anyone else had documented their experience with an Eggling cactus. I found this set on Flickr.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Would be great Xmas gifts. Was it purchased at a store or online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing my friend bought it in one of the Asian markets and shops she often visits. It's also available online, from what little I've googled about it.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy