NOW THIS:

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Reaching out

The other day, I was in the house minding my own business, when Michael came home and announced that he had just seen a woman walking a 3-legged dog right past our house. In the nearly 2 1/2 years since Boomer's amputation, I have never seen a 3-legged dog in our neighborhood, so I was very excited and I ran outside to see.

By the time I got to the sidewalk, the lady and her dog, indeed a right rear amputee like Boomie, were almost to the corner. Too far for me to yell, run after her, or otherwise make a spectacle of myself. But I have been thinking of them ever since. Last night at around the same time, I kept watching to see if they might come by this way again. But I didn't see them.

Why do I care? I don't really know. I guess I just want to say Hi. Let her know that we here are also members of that special club. The "Tripawd" club. I made a silly little sign and hung it on the geraniums closest to the sidewalk. Maybe she will see it next time she walks by. Maybe she will want to introduce herself and we can talk about our dogs.

2 comments:

  1. that is a sweet wonderful idea to reach out and it is entirely natural a feeling- to want to know and speak with someone who has walked in your shoes with a dog who also walks in Boomer's paw prints, the three of them

    the sign is spirited and happy- uplifting in that 'we don't feel sorry for ourselves' life is good all the same, let's be pals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea! I hope she stops and you can invite her to the club!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy