NOW THIS:

Monday, January 10, 2011

Always open


There's this bird I've been watching since, oh, sometime last summer. A mockingbird. He* has something wrong with his beak. That's how I can tell him apart from all the other mockingbirds. His beak is stuck open. I don't know how he manages to eat, but apparently he still can. The other day I was working in the yard, getting my little garden plot ready for some vegetables. When I disturbed the soil, it activiated the bugs there, and that attracted the bird. I stood there very still and watched for several minutes as he thrashed a spider around in the dirt. I'm not even sure he ended up eating it. I crept away to go get my camera, and he was still there when I got back. He is perched on the handle of my garden hoe.




I don't know if this bird is really a he, but I'm calling it a he.

1 comment:

  1. Poor sweet thing...he is very friendly and I'm so glad he can still rustle up a meal.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy