NOW THIS:

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Introducing Fortis

Fortis the fish Two weeks have passed since I brought home my little betta. He has survived beyond the period in which I would have been able to get a refund for him if he had died (like the first one did). Since this guy has made it through his "probation period", he now gets his official name: Fortis.

He is named for a big dog who was "online friends" with Boomie a couple of years ago. Fortis had bone cancer, and had his right-rear leg amputated, just like Boomie, and passed away the month before Boomie did. Fortis was dearly loved by his human parents. His dad often took him to the river. Fortis loved to swim.

  Fortis the fish I have been taking lots of pictures of my fishie-Fortis, most of them pretty crappy. For such a beautiful fish, he's just not very photogenic. His body scales are somewhere between blue and green. They are metallic, or maybe iridescent, or maybe a little of both. They sort of change color depending how the light hits him. The fluorescent light in his tank goes through my camera and makes him look gray somehow. I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the settings in my camera to make him look better, so I have been using the filters from Picasa to try to get his colors to look more like what I'm seeing in real life, but it's still too grainy. Oh well.  Maybe I'll give it a try with Jerry's camera some time.

There were a few days last week where he wasn't feeling well, but for the most part, Fortis has been very lively and energetic.  He learned quickly that when I open the little lid in the top of his tank, there's a good chance he'll get some food.   He has a good appetite, and he snaps up his tiny betta pellets with gusto.  I'm just sorry I can't feed him more, but bettas apparently have tiny stomachs and can only eat a few morsels a day.  The Jewish mama in me has had a bit of a hard time with that, but I am determined to keep him healthy and not over feed him!

5 comments:

  1. He looks very beautiful to me!!! Love that short tail!!! It is hard to feed fish so little...I remember even with my goldfish way back in high school...I would have to change the water all the time partly due to food he couldn't eat clouding up the bowl. I'm sure Fortis will do great with you for his Momma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie.
    After reading about some of the problems that long-finned bettas have, I decided to get a short-finned one. They are not as common as the long-finned (and OMG, you wouldn't believe all the colors and fin-shapes the long ones come in!) but they are slowly becoming more available, particularly in Petco and Petsmart. I'll tell you, though, looking at all those beautiful but kind of sad fishies in their miserable little cups...it's like going to the dog pound. You just wish you could take them all home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fortis looks amazing. The colors are so bright and rich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvelous! and wonderfully named,

    I love Bettas and used to keep them and I even had ambitions to breed them.... wow, cool, a bubble nest.... I'd have liked to have seen that.

    I remember seeing them as a kid - Woolworth's had a pet section.... they kept them in little separate compartments as they are 'fighting fish' .... and it distressed me whenever I saw that some juvenile delinquent had thought it a cool prank to let two be together....

    Hi Cindy! Lovely to see your belongings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Kat! I thought you were gone for good!

      Delete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy