NOW THIS:

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Ah, sweet catharsis

ca·thar·sis noun \kə-ˈthär-səs\ plural ca·thar·ses
Definition of CATHARSIS
1 : purgation
2 a : purification or purgation of the emotions (as pity and fear) primarily through art
   b : a purification or purgation that brings about spiritual renewal or release from tension
3 : elimination of a complex by bringing it to consciousness and affording it expression

Well, here we are right in the middle of the summer doldrums, and I have been frustrated and agitated because our home remodel has stalled.  It's been almost 4 months since the kitchen was finished, but work has yet to start on the bathrooms.  I had hoped they would be done by now!  And it's not the contractor's fault, either.  I won't go into detail on the who and the why of it all.  Suffice to say I grew very impatient and tired of waiting!

Before I came to terms with our current state of affairs, I found myself looking for projects to distract me from my frustrations. (and just maybe make a little statement to somebody. ahem)

The first thing I decided was that this empty corner of my new kitchen counter needed an aquarium. So I put up a little 5 gallon hex tank for a betta fish. My little aquarium Fits just perfect in there, huh? Jerry is not thrilled with this, but I love it! I had a big goldfish tank many years ago, and I had been kinda missing having fish for a while now.

  New betta fish Here's my fish. :)   When I first put him in the tank, he spent a long time staring at the rocks.  I can't imagine what he thought about them, or the rest of his new home, after living in a cup for most of his life.

   betta fish A wider view of him in his tank.  He doesn't officially have a name yet. I'm afraid to make the commitment of a name until I feel reasonably certain that he's not going to die right away. (Here is where I must admit that this is actually my second betta. The first one got sick shortly after I brought it home, and died a few days later.)


My other cathartic project has been painting what amounts to cute graffiti on the walls of my bathroom. Vine going up the wall


Bathroom vanity art This is actually something I had considered doing years ago, but at least I've done it now, and I can enjoy it, even if it gets ripped out and painted over in a couple of weeks. But I have a feeling I'll get to enjoy it for a little longer than that. And my frustration? Well, I suppose it's still there, under the surface, but greatly reduced because I realized I just needed to reduce my expectations.

4 comments:

  1. Love your tank set up for new fish! Is that an orange color on him/her along with the blue??? (Or more red)? If it is orange...I was thinking of the Miami Dolphins colors! His name could be Dolphin or Dolphy! Just a thought! LOL.

    Too bad you beautiful painting will be gone with the re-do of bathroom. I like them...especially the vine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of a tomato red, so kind of a dark orange. His colors change a little depending on how the light hits him. His body can go from blue to turquoise to almost gold-ish.

    I have a name picked out for him, but I'm waiting until I've had him for 2 weeks before I officially give it to him. 2 weeks is how long PetSmart will allow me to return him if he goes belly up. Fortunately, he is doing very well so far, so hopefully in a future post, I will reveal his name!

    I like my vine, too, and I'm already wondering how it might look with the new bathroom. There's nothing that says I can't paint another one, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the kitchen tank. Sooo pretty! And love the bathroom as well.
    Just finished kitchen yesterday, but haven't started bathrooms. We share the same boat!
    Mrs. W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy, kinda late reading your post here. I wanted to let you know it's been 10 years and counting since our so-called kitchen remodel started. So take heart! I think maybe your partner in remodeling isn't as bad as he could be.

    I ended up doing a similar thing with our outdoor bathroom (yet to be remodeled/repaired) stapled a bunch of photo prints to the walls. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy